Sunday, August 1, 2010

Driving Myself Even Crazier...

Yesterday my dad and step-mom left so it was just Austin and me for the night. Today was Monday, a very eventful day. It should have been less eventful but as we all know, things don't always turn out the way you want them.
Austin and I woke up at 5:00am so we could go pick up my friend Matt. I thought Austin would be hard to wake up but he was actually the one to wake me up. We ate a light breakfast of chocolate pebbles then hopped in the car and started our journey. I was so surprised that neither of us was tired after only getting about three hours of sleep. We drove, and drove, and drove some more, and kept on driving. I don't mind driving on one road for hundreds of miles. Just as long as I have some scenery or a couple of lanes to keep things interesting. The part of the journey I hated the most was when we came up to a road that was one lane each direction and corn fields all around. I had to drive that road for 23 miles. Not a single speed limit sign so I never knew how fast to go and there were some pretty wicked curves too. So that only slowed me down.
We finally got there around 10:00am. I left a box of stuff at Matt's house so we would have some space when we all came home. We loaded up Matt, his bags, and his guitar and headed off. We were all enjoying ourselves with pleasant conversation and fun music until about 170 miles away from our final destination. Then dun, dun, dun... The worst happened. I heard a thu-bump bump noise and saw a piece of tire fly. I thought maybe I just ran over someone's flat tire so I asked, "Was that our tire?" Then, BAM! All the weight of our car shifted towards the front left tire. It scared me so bad. I pulled over to the left shoulder as quickly as I could and got to work. We unpacked the trunk looking for the spare. We used our sad little jack to prop up the car and I called my dad. While the boys were taking the old tire off, I was panicking on the phone inside my lopsided car. My father told me to go to a used tire place and have them put a used tire on my wheel because there was no way I would be able to drive over a hundred miles on just a spare. Just then the car collapsed. The jack slipped out of place and gouged the side of my car. The tire was loosely sitting on the base. I was worried it was going to mess up the car but everything was ok. A road-side assistant pulled up right behind me and helped us out. He pulled out his jack that put my wimpy jack to shame and went to work. Well actually he just gave us the tools and told us what to do. He gave me directions to a used tire place and we all headed down the road. I drove very carefully for seven and a half miles. But had to keep slowing down because my spare was flat! All we heard was ka-plunk, ka-plunk, ka-plunk. I was so worried that the spare would die on me too. All I could vision was me spinning out uncontrollably and dying.
We finally got to the used tire place and they knew just what to do. They took my old popped tire off the wheel, put a new one on and pumped some air in it for only $30! We all got the great idea that if they could fill the regular tire why not pump a little of that air in my spare? Air should be free right? Wrong. The guy took my spare and pumped a little bit of air in it then *pop* It split to pieces. The head manager came over and asked if we still wanted the spare. I was like duh... I'm going to need something if this happens again. But of course I was polite and just said yes, please. So he proceeded to tell us both tires would be $55. My brother got livid and Matt pulled out the big guns. They both flipped out on him and told him we weren't paying for a tire they broke. We only wanted air in the spare not to have the whole tire replaced but his mechanic made that impossible. He walked away while I stood there and worried for a while. I was worried we were going to have to pay for it no matter what.
Alas he came back with with a receipt for just $30. We were so happy. But I will tell you, I worried the entire ride back that we would get another flat. But we were ok. We made it all the way safe and sound.

I am a worry wart. Little things worry me and I will drive myself insane until they are resolved. Sometimes I enjoy worrying, especially about the little things.

2 comments:

  1. I saw you were in an open relationship with Apollos. How does that fit in with your rules? Seems to me you are already bending them, if not breaking altogether.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha. It was actually a joke. I'll explain in today's blog. :)

    ReplyDelete